Massachusetts County Highpoints

Berkshire • Hampden • Suffolk • Essex • Norfolk
Worcester • Bristol • Plymouth • Middlesex

Return to the United States Highpoints Page

Massachusetts's Counties


My Massachusetts county highpoint project started humbly. In 2000, I drove to the top of Mount Greylock, then later that same day, hiked an easy highpoint in nearby Hampden County. In 2006, Beth and I were in the state again, and we drove up Mount Greylock for Beth's first visit. However, I had no intentions of visiting any of the other county highpoints. I wasn't motivated to spend all that money to fly to Boston just for the county highpoints.

In recent years, I have been to Boston a few times on business, and in each case, I have been able to visit and hike some of the nearby surrounding county highpoints. Thus, as of 2015, I have claimed the highest point in nine of the fourteen counties in Massachusetts. Maybe someday I'll visit the rest, but it may be awhile. Check back every couple of years.

Mount Greylock
• Highpoint: State of Massachusetts
• Highpoint: Berkshire County
Elevation: 3,487 feet • Prominence: 2,464 feet • Distance: 0.2 miles • Time: 1 hour • Gain: 25 feet • Conditions: Cloudy in 2000, cold and sprinkly in 2006

Mount Greylock is the highest point and most prominent mountain in Massachusetts. A road goes all the way to the top, while there are trail options for hikes, too. However, on both my trips, I had little time (and variable weather), so I have driven the road both times. The top is adorned by a big tower, commemmorating the Massachusetts War Veterans. On a clear day, the views are supposedly excellent. However, I'll have to trust what others have said.

First Visit, July 4, 2000. I was in the area for this holiday weekend, mainly devoting my time and efforts to the state and county highpoints of Rhode Island and Connecticut. I finished my last hike this morning in Connecticut, then entered into Massachusetts, following the curvy highways (mainly US-7) through the hills toward Mount Greylock. I had problems staying on course in Pittsfield, where signs were hard to see or not there at all, and I found myself on the wrong road more than once. I eventually worked my way to the north into the town of North Adams and onto Notch Road, the scenic and twisting road that goes to the top of Greylock.

The drive is interesting, with excellent views and portions where the road narrows along the ridges. There were bicyclists and motorcyclists, plus a steady stream of cars. I arrived to the upper parking area and walked to the tower, then walked around to be sure I had not missed any highpoint rocks. In all, I spent thirty minutes walking around and checking out the visitor's center. The day was hazy, so the views were not good. I drove down the south road back into Pittsfield and then along US-20 into Chester, aiming for another short hike up Round Top in nearby Hampden County.

Second visit, August 8, 2006: Beth and I were in the area, having visited highpoints in Vermont and heading south into New York toward West Point. We stayed in Bennington, Vermont, which is about 30 minutes north of Greylock. The day started cool and foggy with a stiff breeze. The fog lifted but the weather was still blustery. We drove the road from North Adams to the top. Our visit was short as Beth was feeling unwell, but she walked the few yards to the highpont. This was her 6th state highpoint. We exited via the south road as before, and followed US-7 into Connecticut and then New York state.

Beth walks to the tower

Another shot of the tower

Round Top
• Highpoint: Hampden County
Elevation: 1,794 feet • Prominence: 403 feet Distance: 1.2 miles • Time: 40 minutes • Gain: 300 feet • Conditions: Cloudy

July 4, 2000. It was about noon when I arrived to the area near Round Top. I began my hike following a rudimentary trail marked by white blazes on the trees. In places the trail was nonexistent but the blazed route helped. And it was steep! My map seemed to indicate that it was about 100 feet of gain but then I realized I had one of those maps that mark things off using the communist metric system, so it was actually more like 300 feet of gain. Ugh, meters. When will people give up on this silly fad? The hike was short, steep, and quick. I burned a few joules along the way. I was at the summit in about 20 minutes, a grassy top with rocks and trees. I took a break in the open, but couldn't see much. I didn't stay long.

Coming down, I slipped and caked my pants in thick brown mud. They were goners for the trip. I'd have to take them home like that in a plastic bag and hope they were salvageable. From here, I drove back to Manchester, New Hampshire, and lazed in a local hotel before flying home the following morning.

Bellevue Hill
• Highpoint: Suffolk County
• Highpoint: City of Boston
Elevation: 330 feet • Prominence: 168 feet • Distance: 1 mile • Time: 2 hours • Gain: 100 feet • Conditions: Beautiful

November 12, 2010. I was in Boston for a conference held at the Copley Marriott in downtown Boston, and my first day was filled from sun-up to sun-down with meetings, greetings, lunches, dinners, talks, and so on. I barely had time to do much of anything not on the official agenda. However, my second day (today) was also busy, but not as bad as yesterday. I saw I had a couple hours between commitments, so I decided to go check out Bellevue Hill, the highpoint of Suffolk County and the city of Boston. Suffolk County is quite small in area and basically encompasses Boston. Bellevue Hill is just a few miles southwest of downtown, in the community of Bellevue.

To get there, I got on the T, Boston's subway system, and rode the orange line to its south terminus at Forest Hills. My plan was to take a bus the two miles more to the Bellevue Hill area, but when I got on what I thought was the right bus, the driver said the bus "don't go there". Just to be safe, I spent $10 for a taxi to take me the remaining distance via Washington Street (a boulevard, more accurately). He dropped me off on a residential road and from there I walked the road, then entered the forested hill along a leaf-covered path. I walked some stairs and onto a clearing where a big water tower sits. I walked the perimeter of the fence and surmised the highpoint to be on the south side, a small rise on the hill near a tree. It was all very pretty.

I exited and walked back to Washington Street, and caught the bus as it drove back to the train depot. From there, I took the train back to downtown. The whole round trip, from hotel to highpoint and back, took less than two hours. I was amused that I used four modes of transportation: foot, taxi, train and bus. I was back to my hotel by 1 p.m., where I took a shower and made it back for some more presentations that afternoon. My walking portion covered about a mile, including the parts between the hotel and train station.

Leaf-covered pathway

Highest point

Holt Hill
• Highpoint: Essex County
Elevation: 420 feet • Prominence: 334 feet • Distance: 1 mile • Time: 30 minutes • Gain: 100 feet • Conditions: Tremendous • Teammates: Roy Wallen

November 13, 2010. Today (Saturday) was not as busy and I had most of the afternoon open between meetings and other engagements. Prior to leaving I had contacted Roy Wallen, a pal from the county highpointers club. Roy lives in the area, but I had not seen him since 2002 in Texas. Roy was gracious enough to show me around a couple county highpoints, both "in the area" and close to Boston. I took the orange line north to its end at Oak Grove where Roy picked me up. First on the list was Holt Hill in Essex County, not far from the city of Lawrence. The weather was spectacular for this time of year.

We went north a small ways along Interstate-93, then followed some smaller feeder highways to a residential area. I couldn't really tell you where we were, but Roy obviously knew where he was going. We parked in a small lot near the park that includes Holt Hill. This is a small land preserve set amid some very nice homes.

The park has a number of trails, some going direct to the top, others more meandering. Roy chose a nice one that swung south, then east, then north to the grassy hilltop. The one-way hike took us 15 minutes using a combination of wooded paths, open grassy meadows, and old access roads. The top is broad, features a lookout tower, and at the summit itself, a set of stones laid out in the cardinal directions. There were lots of people about, oldsters out for a hike, and families with small kids. The Boston skyline was visible to the south, about 30 miles away. Even Roy commented what a clear day this was, that it was unusual. Temperatures were about 60, no breeze, and not a cloud anywhere.

After about 15 minutes at the top we took a shorter, more direct path back to Roy's car. After about 40 minutes zipping along the beltway highways of the Boston 'burbs, we arrived at our next objective, Great Blue Hill.

Holt, the man

Lovely fall colors

The summit

That's me

Great Blue Hill
• Highpoint: Norfolk County
Elevation: 630 feet • Prominence: 483 feet • Distance: 1.5 mile • Time: 40 minutes • Gain: 400 feet • Conditions: Superb • Teammates: Roy Wallen

November 13, 2010. We exited Interstate-93 in Dedham, now on northbound highway MA-138. Great Blue Hill stands tall and is pretty big for these parts, with a summit at over 630 feet, give or take a little. We parked in the southern parking lot, south of the museum. Given the day's great conditions, the lots were jam-packed and we were lucky to find a spot.

We started up a service road near the small ski run, cutting northeast to catch the main hiking trail, which we followed up. Much of the trail is over rocky outcrops, and in places there were puddles and mud from a recent storm. There were also many people. We kept a good pace and soon came upon a stone observation tower named after a Mr. Eliot, an architect and conservationist who did a lot of "park architecture", including Bellevue Park. We climbed up the stairs to the observation deck. I was able to take a couple photos of the Boston skyline amid the chaotic jumble of people (and dogs). There must have been 20 people crammed in that little space, where normally 5 might be a crowd.

This is not the highest point, though. The highpoint is a few more yards up a path to another building, this one a weather observation station. It has been re-done as a tourist draw with tours, or you can wander the area on your own. The views here were better toward the west. We had climbed about 400 vertical feet to gain this highpoint. Not bad for a hill so close to Boston. We spent a little while up here, then walked down the asphalt service road back to the north parking lot, then from there to Roy's car. Roy mentioned again that he'd never seen so many people here ever before.

We were two-for-two today, and I was tickled because I didn't think we'd get this one due to time restrictions. From the parking lot, Roy drove us up highway 138 into Boston, then along major boulevards into the downtown area, where he dropped me off at the hotel. Given all we had done today, it was still not yet 3 p.m., so I had some time to shower and then go wander the Marriott with all the math people who were also wandering around.

My sincerest thanks to Roy for being such a good tour guide and driver. I had a blast, and was happy to get the local county highpoints, and not take up a whole day to do them. They were surprisingly easy ... assuming you have a good driver who knows his way around town!

The next day, I flew back to Arizona, but I was able to get in an urban hike along the Freedom Trail, which goes to many of the old buildings and points of interest in downtown Boston.

Granitic outcrops

Zoom image of Boston

The observation tower

The weather tower at the
actual summit

Wachusett Mountain
• Highpoint: Worcester County
Elevation: 2,006 feet • Prominence: 930 feet • Distance: 2 miles • Time: 1 hour • Gain: 600 feet • Conditions: Clear and extremely cold

February 7, 2013. I was in Boston for a couple of days to film some on-line video content as part of my calculus textbook on which I am a co-author. I had flown out Monday the 4th, and stayed in Lowell, a suburb about 25 miles to the northwest. The 5th and 6th were spent shooting all the videos, which was tiring, but very productive. We were able to finish them late yesterday, the 6th, leaving the first half of today open. I had not visited a county highpoint since my last time in Massachusetts, in 2010. I came prepared, with some maps of a few nearby highpoints "close" to Boston.

The weather had been cold but not too bad, with lows in the teens and highs in the 30s. Other than one weenie snow flurry, it had been very still. In fact, today started out sunny and calm, with a few high clouds. The outside temperature when I left Lowell was about 20 degrees Fahrenheit. However, with no wind, it was tolerable.

My primary interest was Wachusett Mountain, but I was not sure how far it was from Lowell, having no real sense of the layout of Boston. However, I was pleased to see that it was only about 35 miles away. Not so far off that it would take me two hours to get there. So I left at 7 a.m. and took Interstate-495 and MA-2 west to the town of Fitchburg, then south on state route MA-140 toward Wachusett Mountain. The mountain is home to a popular ski area, with runs nearing 800 vertical feet. The recent weeks had been dry so there was not much snow on the ground. However, the ski slopes were all white, with man-made snow.

I missed a turn in the morning light, but corrected my error and found the Wachusett Mountain State Preserve building on the west side of the mountain. A couple cars were already there. No one was in the building yet, so I got some coats on, grabbed my camera, and started the hike. Higher up than Lowell, the temperature was now about 15 degrees, going by my car's thing that tells temperature. But it was still and calm, so it was actually very nice.

I found the Bicentennial trailhead and followed it south (left) for about 200 yards through open forest, bare of leaves given the time of year. The ground was bare in spots, patchy snow in others, and sheets of ice here and there. I met two women coming down from their hike and we chatted. After parting ways, I slipped and landed on my side, caught by a patch of ice. Note to self: lookout for the ice.

The junction with the Pine Hill Trail was not much farther, and I followed it straight up the slope. The trail is composed of big rocks heaped into stair-steps, lined with similar stones forming a low wall. The rocks, being heat sinks, held more snow and cascades of ice than the surrounding slopes, so I ended up walking alongside the trail for most of the way, generally poking my way through side trails and open areas to avoid the ice and snow. I did not slip at all, but came close a couple times.

After about 400 feet of elevation gain, the trail meets a paved road. Outside of winter, you can drive this from the park headquarters. The trail continued past the road, but I opted to walk the road the remaining distance to the top to avoid the ice. Shortly, I arrived on top, the whole area bare of trees, crowned by a big lookout tower. The top was empty: no cars nor people. There was a soft breeze, that combined with the low temperature, made for slightly uncomfortable conditions. I walked up the last of the road to the summit, a low outcrop of bare rock.

I looked around and enjoyed the views, but kept moving. I snapped a few photographs, but just as fast, resumed my walk down, retracing my route exactly. The Pine Hill Trail segment went well, as I took each step carefully and walked in a low crouch to offset any sudden slips. Within an hour from starting, I was back to my car. The hike had been a delight, and I was happy to have had good overall conditions. It's rare for me to hike in temperatures anywhere near the teens, so this was a new experience for me, too.

From here, I backtracked onto the highways for more highpoint explorations.

I noticed on my visit that everyone mispronounces "Worcester" as "woostah". This is incorrect. You should pronounce all syllables, like "Worr-sess-terrrr", really dragging out those r's.

Wachusett Mountain

The Pine Hill Trail

The Bicentennial Trail

Approaching the top

The top (summit to the right)

Walking back down the road

Sunrise Hill
• Highpoint: Bristol County
Elevation: 390 feet • Prominence: 79 feet • Distance: 0.2 mile • Time: 20 minutes • Gain: 20 feet • Conditions: Very cold

February 7, 2013. From Wachusett Mountain, I followed state route MA-2 back east to Interstate-495, then that freeway south about 30 miles. I exited at state route MA-1-A near the city of Attleboro, then followed that through some business and residential areas to its junction with US-1. I went through the intersection and onto Elmwood Street to the World War I Memorial Park & Zoo. In all, the drive took an hour, and the weather was holding steady. Very cold, but clear and calm, temperature about 25 degrees Fahrenheit.

I followed the road counterclockwise through the forested hilltop, going about three-quarters of the way around before coming to a parking area near a fire lookout tower. The highpoint is nearby, and could be any one of four competing hilltops or rocky knobs. A kid's playground was across the way, but other than a lone jogger, I saw no one.

One rock outcrop sits beside the parking area. The climb up was simple, but by inspection, it is not the highest point. Instead, another rock outcrop that sits about 50 feet north of the lookout tower seemed higher by possibly five feet. This climb took less than a minute from the road. The rock was bare except for snow in the nooks, and ice in spots. From this rock knob, two other areas, one across the road in a picnic area, and the other in the woods to the east, look possibly as high. I inspected both.

I walked to the one in the picnic area first. It looked a couple feet lower than the rock knob. Then I walked to the one east in the woods. It too appeared lower than the rock knob by the fire tower. Since the whole endeavor took 15-20 minutes, it was easy to visit them all. However, I am certain the rock knob by the fire tower is the highest.

There is a small plaque near a flagpole in the parking area mentioning the World War I Memorial, but actual memorials are few and far between. It's a nice, hilly wooded park, but not the big memorial that I for some reason envisioned it to be.

Parking area

Probable highpoint

Fire tower

Manomet Hill
• Highpoint: Plymouth County
Elevation: 395 feet • Prominence: 345 feet • Distance: 1 mile • Time: 30 minutes • Gain: 110 feet • Conditions: Cold

February 7, 2013. When I finished my visit at Sunrise Hill in Bristol County, it was about 11:30 a.m., and I didn't need to be in Boston until about 2 p.m., so I decided to drive east toward the city of Plymouth, and seek out the highpoint hill, Manomet Hill, of Plymouth County.

From Sunrise Hill, I followed US-1 back to Interstate-495, then exited onto US-44, which heads directly to Plymouth. The drive went well, but long stretches of US-44 are single-lane and we were slowed by a couple of trucks. The drive from Attleboro to Plymouth took me about an hour, covering about 30 miles. In Plymouth, I followed state route MA-3 south a few miles then exited onto route 3-A for another two miles. By now, I was essentially beside the coast, but the countryside was heavily wooded.

The road crosses over the north slopes of Manomet Hill, with a few gated side roads leading off to the top. The topographical map showed just one road, so I was already confused. I parked a few hundred feet beyond the crest of the road in a small parking lot for a bike shop. I asked the guy in the shop if I could park there while hiking and he had no problem with that. I still had calm, cold conditions, with sun and some high wispy clouds.

I walked back along MA-3-A about 200 feet to a trail jutting off at an angle to my intended road, the one shown on the map. In moments I was on this road, which is supposedly "posted" against trespassing. However, the light remnant snow on the ground showed plenty of footprints and bike tire tracks. I figure the locals walk and hike here all the time.

The walk up this road went fast, and in about 10 minutes I had covered the 100 feet of elevation gain and half-mile to the top, a cleared area where the road forms a loop. The top was bare, with patchy grass, a few rocks and a little trash. The trees were high enough to block any views. I stuck around to tag the highest spots and take a photo, but as soon as I was done, I started the walk out.

Back to my car, I now needed to get to Boston and the airport. I got my bag in order, filling the rental car with gas, and cleaned up. The drive into Boston went well, and I managed to follow the maze of roads and signs to the airport and car-rental return. The flight home was long and tedious, but I was glad to be home, and happy to have successfully visited three county highpoints, my first since 2010, the last time I was in Boston.

A day after I left, Boston was slammed by a massive blizzard, dropping two feet of snow, the worst storm since 1978. In the days prior, this was all over the news in Boston, and it was all everyone talked about, even at the studio where I shot my videos. While driving the highways today, the state patrol had positioned mobile electronic signs everywhere warning people to stay home, stay off the roads, and so on.

So I was at the airport, sitting in the gate area waiting to board. Two women nearby started talking. One said to the other "It's a good thing we're getting out of here before the big storm." The other one said "What storm?". Geez. Some people really are that inattentive and dense. How could she have missed all the warnings? I really wanted to lean over to her and say "pull your head out of your..." but I kept my mouth shut.

Hiking the road up

The top

The gate at the road

Nutting Hill & Watatic Mtn
• Wapack Mountains
• Highpoint: Middlesex County
Elevation: 1,620 feet (Nutting Hill), 1,585 feet (Middlesex CoHP), 1,831 feet (Watatic Mountain) • Prominence: 110 feet (Nutting Hill), 10 feet (Middlesex CoHP), 502 feet (Watatic Mountain) • Distance: 4 miles total • Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes • Gain: 900 feet total • Conditions: Cold and snowy at first, sunnier and warmer later on

March 21, 2015. I found myself in greater Boston again, shooting more videos for my book, like I did two years ago. This time, I was in Concord, about 30 miles northwest of the airport. I took this opportunity to consider a couple county highpoint hikes: Mount Watatic, which contains the highpoint of Middlesex County, and Pack Monadnock Mountain, just over the state line in New Hampshire. Both are part of the Wapack Mountains and not too far from Concord.

I was able to finish my filming duties on Friday, leaving today, Saturday, open for hiking, but the weather and the general conditions were not ideal. Record snow had fallen in and around Boston this winter, and most of the ground was covered in it, a couple feet in places. And it so happened that a small system was moving through while I was here, dropping more snow.

I drove from my hotel toward Mount Watatic earlier this morning, but bailed and returned to my hotel as the snow was falling enough to cover the roads. Actually, it wasn’t too bad, but I was concerned about things like ice, or the condition of the trails, and some possibly steep grades. Long story short, I didn’t get moving again until noon, this time going north first toward Pack Monadnock Mountain. That hike was a success, so here I was now, back in Massachusetts, following state route MA-119 southeast toward Mount Watatic. It was about 3 p.m., the conditions much improved, temperatures about 40 degrees F, all snow from this morning having been cleared off, salted or melted on its own.

I drove to the Midstate Trail parking area where highway MA-119 crests just south of Mount Watatic. The parking area was hemmed in by snow, but there was enough room for about six cars. I wedged in between two other cars, and started my hike about 3:15 p.m.. The trail here is signed as the Midstate and the Wapack Trail, heading north from the parking area. I travelled light, carrying just my rented snowshoes and my camera. I did not put on my snowshoes yet. The ground was mushy enough so that my hiking shoes were adequate. I did not posthole, nor was it icy. I had ideal “snow-hiking” conditions.

The trail runs north and stays level, crossing a marshy area, which for now was under a lot of snow. After about a quarter mile, the trail comes to a junction. The Midtstate and Wapack Trail goes right, directly for the summit of Mount Watatic. I went straight, now on the Stateline Trail, which said that New Hampshire was just 0.9 miles to the north. The path here was excellent, and I was able to scoot up it quickly. I met some women and their dogs hiking down. We talked briefly, then I went on my way. After about 15 minutes, the trail curved east and met with the Wapack Trail again, now north of Nutting Hill and about a mile north of Watatic’s summit.

(The nomenclature of the trails is slightly confusing. The Wapack Trail starts at the parking area and traverses the Wapack Mountains all the way north to Pack Monadnock Mountain. The Midtstate Trail apparently starts somewhere else and “ends” somewhere here, and for a brief section, coincide as one trail with the Wapack Trail.)

Now on the Wapack Trail, a left would have taken me north, downhill to the state line, and a right uphill toward Nutting Hill. This is all inside Worcester County, by the way. The Middlesex County line cuts cross the range’s east slopes about a thousand feet east of the trail, and its highpoint is a low hill in the forest. However, I chose to hike up Nutting Hill to better gain my bearings. I met a couple guys who were coming up from the other way, from Watatic Mountain. Based on their descriptions and my map, I was able to determine for certain my position. Although I was clearly on a hill, the snow hid important ground clues I might need to venture off-trail for the Middlesex county highpoint. Now I knew exactly where I was.

I decided to descend back down north, the way I had come up, back to the junction of the two trails. From here, I snowshoed east into the trees. The snow here was untrodden, and although it was crunchy and icy, it was soft in a few spots too. Postholing was possible, so the snowshoes were vital here. Plus, I was creating a path as I walked, so that exiting wouldn’t be a problem.

I hiked by sight east, dropping about 30 feet of elevation, then ascending about 10 feet. I just kept walking until I sensed that the ground was dropping again. I was looking for a low stone wall that apparently is the county line, but the snow hid all such forms. But I got lucky: I found a blue diamond marker nailed to a tree, marking the boundary of the Ashburnham State Forest, which should agree with the county line (said the map). To be sure, I walked around and found another such marker, allowing me to establish a line between the two. Then I walked between the two, trying to stay high whenever possible. A big multi-trunked tree between the two markers seemed to be on highest ground to me.

I did not see the stone wall, but I did see a long “swell” in the snow that must have been covering the stone wall. With my bare hand, I dug into the snow about 18 inches, to see if I would reach a stone, but I gave up after my hand got very cold and I still had not reached the stones. The blue markers on the trees were good enough. I was most definitely at the right place. I snapped one photo, then retraced my trail through the snow back to the main trail.

I re-ascended Nutting Hill, then decided to continue on to Mount Watatic. The trail drops about 100 feet to a saddle, then starts up to the top of Mount Watatic, gaining about 300 feet, all this in about a mile. I did not see anyone on this stretch, and I was on the summit a little before 4 p.m.. The top is bare rock, and I stopped briefly here to snap some images and look around. Conditions were nice, but if I stopped, then I got chilled.

I descended by following the Wapack Trail steeply down the south-west facing slopes of Mount Watatic, trusting that the blazes on the trees would not lead me astray. The path into the snow was well-trodden, but there were a couple spots where it grew weak. Nevertheless, this worked well. I covered the downhill in about 20 minutes, and was back to my car by about 4:30 p.m.. I figured I covered four miles, including all my detours. Down low, I saw a lot of people (and dogs) on the trails.

I was very happy, and a little surprised, that I was successful on this journey, especially after this morning’s drama. I was surprisingly beat, too. The two hikes had totaled about 7 miles, and snowshoeing can be tiring since it’s extra weight on the feet (not much) and requires one to walk with a slightly unnatural gait (I must have kicked myself a dozen times with my own snowshoes today).

I piled into my car, and drove the thirty miles back to Acton, where I dropped off the snowshoes at the Eastern Mountains Sports location. They were really cool people and I recommend them to everyone.

Back at my hotel, I showered, ate a meal and went to bed at 7:30 p.m., partly due to being tired and also since I had to be up at 2 a.m. to get packed and drive myself into Boston for my very early flight home to Phoenix the next day.


Hiking up the "Stateline Trail",
the sun broke out for a
few moments!

The Middlesex County Highpoint,
or close to it

Nutting Hill

Watatic Mountain from
Nutting Hill

Summit of Watatic Mountain

Stone marker

Looking east toward Boston

Hiking down the Wapack Trail
in the snow, trusting the
blazes will lead me out

(c) 2000, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015 Scott Surgent. For entertainment purposes only. This report is not meant to replace maps, compass, gps and other common sense hiking/navigation items. Neither I nor the webhost can be held responsible for unfortunate situations that may arise based on these trip reports. Conditions (physical and legal) change over time! Some of these hikes are major mountaineering or backpacking endeavors that require skill, proper gear, proper fitness and general experience.